Living in SF kinda makes it hard sometimes to utilize our beautiful outdoor scenery…The fog is something that never makes me feel like running! I always hate having to bring a sweatshirt just for the first 10 minutes of my run until I get warmed up. Because let’s face it, it’s kind of a pain to have to run with a sweatshirt wrapped around your arse. Am I right people???
Anywho, today I decided to go on my first “long” distance run in training for my endurance marathon that is sneaking up on me. I headed outside and tackled 5.14 miles in….45minutes an hour and 7 minutes. Ya I know, I’m kind of a grandma when it comes to running. I was never a fan of it growing up, and really found it hard to get into a mental groove. But lately, I have been able to block out all of those “let’s just walk instead” thoughts. I credit that to my love of bikram yoga. If you can endure 105degrees for 90 minutes while doing downward dog, you can do anything!
I wanted to discuss with you all my pro’s and con’s of exercising outside vs. going to the gym.
Here’s what I like and dislike about running outside:
- The scenery and people watching.
- Fresh air.
- Get to explore new parts of the city.
- The outdoor elements are more challenging than the gym. (ex. wind, hills…)
- Constantly watching out for poo on the ground…Animal or Human(let’s face it people, this is SF!)
- Unpredictable weather.
- Smokers! Nothing worse than getting a big waft of cigarette smoke mid run.
- Sometimes feel like I have less motivation to keep going. No one there to judge you.
And here’s my likes and dislikes for the Gym:
- You know what to expect. Raining outside?? Not in the gym!
- I find all of the other gym rats very inspiring. Scope out that chiseled person and push yourself to do what their doing. I guarantee someone is watching you and doing the same!
- I love all of the options of equipment. If I want to really push myself I will do the treadmill, if I want an easier & more low key workout, I hit the stationary bike.
- Waiting for machines! I always lose motivation after 10 minutes of waiting…Yes Jean Pierre, patience IS a virtue. I know I know!
- Those wandering eyes of creepy older men. Not cute!
- The stale air.
- The monotony. I usually go every other day and do my yoga in between. Just to keep things fresh and exciting.
I have to say though, my run outside was really nice today. It felt good to get some fresh air and I always feel invincible after a run. And here’s a few things that made this run really fun:
- I spotted one of the hosts from a TV show up here called View From the Bay. She was having her pictures taken and I ran by her twice and smiled.
- Ran by AT&T ballpark. I always try and peek inside to see if anyone is practicing. You know how I love me some Baseball players! mmm
- Got to see up close and personal the new Raygun Gothic Rocket Ship statue that’s up along the Embarcadero! So cool!
Now all I want are rocket ship sheets!
So question for the day: Do you prefer working out indoors or outside? If I lived in a place that was gorgeous weather all the time, or if I have Central Park as my backyard, this would not be a tough question to answer!